Monday, May 2, 2011

Beach Retreat

We took a trip to Jekyll Island, GA over the weekend to see my grandparents. They are "snowbirds" who live on the island nine months out of the year now. 

The ocean was surprisingly warm for April. It felt like bath water and I regretted not putting my bathing suit on so I could join the boys in the water.  Mark and Jacob played at the sandbar and every scoop of sand they brought up had a living sanddollar in it.  I haven't seen so many at once before!  The second day we were there, the tide was coming in and we found a few jellyfish that had washed ashore.






Since Mark and Jacob were scorched by the sun, we spent Sunday walking through the Historic District.  Houses dating back to 1889 have been restored and belonged to those such as Rockefellar and Goodyear in the early 1900's. The Jekyll Island Club Hotel is beautiful and used to be the clubhouse where the elite club members met.  I would love to stay at the resort, even just for a night, to fully experience such a piece of history.


The Goodyear Cottage

Sans Souci

It was amazing to look at the photographs from the 1900-1920's and see these young trees that are now massive and winding across yards and pathways.  The island recently repaved all of the roads and sidewalks in the Historic District with a stone and shell mixture to make them more like the original roads.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

It sounds wonderful there. I would love to visit this year sometime. Nice photos, too!

Tara said...

It is only $5 to get on the island and would be worth a day trip if you dont want to stay overnight (the hotels their are rather pricey. There are guided tours that take you around the Historic District on a trolley and you can go inside the homes. When we were there, one of the homes had a free art exhibit, but I thought with the two little boys that wouldnt be a good idea. We just walked through by ourselves and read the signs describing what each house was.

Nana-Two-Three said...

Wow! Sounds like my kind of place! I love history! Thanks for the info!