Saturday, March 29, 2014

2014 Update

I have successfully crossed two items off of my 2014 bucket list.  While the item I am making is not pretty and is taking me forever simply because I do not dedicate much time to it, I have learned how to crochet.  I have the basics. I pick it up here and there when Mark and I are chilling in front of the tv and I'm not interested in whatever car show he's sucked in to.  BUT, I do know how and that is good enough for me.  I dont believe it will ever be a passion or real hobby of mine, I am more of a picture/paint/canvas kinda girl.  We've also settled on a church "home".  Jacob made the decision for us.  For the last five years, we have gone to Hope Community Church on and off.  We've tried a few others and asked others for feedback but we kept finding ourselves defaulting back to Hope.  The hesitation is the distance, the HUGE-Mungus size and the lack of weekday classes at their Holly Springs campus.  However, I made it a priority this year to get us up and going on Sunday mornings.  It was a slow start but we are finally in the swing of things.  Jacob has really enjoyed his group leader and the classes on Sunday.  Its been my heart's desire for him to connect during these middle school years and I certainly dont want to pull him away with a place he is finally comfortable with.  I was a middle school leader for four years, before I had Jacob, and it is certainly a time when the right influences are crucial.  So Hope Holly Springs has become our place to be on Sunday mornings.

We have also completed one volunteer opportunity as a family.  Last weekend, we went to a food packaging event run by Stop Hunger Now.  We ran a kind of assembly line and created pouches of soy, veggies and rice to send overseas to schools to feed hungry children.  Parents who would not normally send their kids to school, do when these packages arrive so the kids can eat. In the meantime, they are also receiving an education and therefore bettering the future of their family and community.  The boys were runners and took the bags from table to table as needed while Mark and I worked on the filling station.  It was fast paced and pretty fun.  I would recommend it to families with kids, as long as the child is over six they can find a spot for them to be involved.

I just completed my first book of the year.  Although it was my third time reading through it, 'Have A New Husband by Friday' by Dr. Kevin Leman has helped me, my marriage and my understanding of the male species tremendously and I enjoy going back through it every couple of years to brush up on things.  It is THE book I recommend to wives.  I really enjoy the author and have read several of his books, and I just purchased several more.  Its easy to read, understand and apply the concepts and I have personally seen a difference over the years.

We are on a good course with the credit card debt.  We have a plan of attack and Mark is working hard to bring in some extra income to help pay it down.  It'll take the whole year but its nice to know this is a mutual goal that we are both dedicated to.

I'm still making wiser choices and exercising to get to my last goal.  There hasnt been much progress though; actually, there hasn't been any progress despite the changes I've made the last three months.  I started a trial program with Plexus today.  A friend of mine is a consultant and she has seen great results (I was actually able to see them with her as well) so hopefully this will help jump start things for me.  I am making it to the gym 2-3 times a week right now, at 5 AM but am trying to do things at home as well.  I think getting involved in a steady class may help my commitment level.  Its easy to allow life's busy-ness to push this aside and that has been my problem lately.  Gotta stay focused!

1. Take a cooking class.
2. Have professional family portraits taken.
3. Have a date night with one of my boys once a month. (One-on-One time.  I'll take one, Daddy will take the other and the following month, we'll switch kiddos so each boy gets some special time with each parent.)
4. Learn how to crochet.
5. Go zip-lining.
6. Run a race with my husband. (We had so much fun with the Warrior Dash last year and this will motivate us both to get back into exercising.)
7. Learn how to play the guitar.
8. Do at least 4 volunteer opportunities as a family.
9. Find a church to call "ours". (We have hopped around and tested new waters since we moved to NC 8 years ago.  I keep searching for that feeling I had back home.  I realize now the sense of belonging didn't come from the church, but from our involvement and the relationships made because of it.)
10. Finish 3 books. (May not sound like much to my reader friends but I have a habit of getting to chapter three or four, setting the book down, and never finishing it.)
11. Be rid of our credit card debt.
12. Work on a car-related project with Mark in the garage. (I helped him replace a transmission once.  It was the summer of 2001.  It meant so much to him.  I think its time I spend some quality time with my guy doing what he loves.)
13. Maintain a vegetable garden.
14. Diet and Exercise so my closet full of clothing fits me properly once again.  (This means consistently going to the gym 4-5 times a week.)

Unfortunately, I already have one goal that I cannot cross off.  #3 Date nights with one of my boys.  I have not done this to date.  Three months here and gone already.  Schedules are not going to clear up any time soon either since baseball and karate start next week.  However, time isnt going to multiply or stop just because I am busy and this is important to me so starting the first weekend of every month (one week from today), I have a date night with one of my boys.

No comments: