Today was kindergarden registration for Austin. It's hard to believe my baby will be starting school with his brother come August. He is ready though and was upset he couldnt stay and start today.
Austin has such a different personality than anyone else I've ever known. As Mark likes to say, he is a 70-year old man trapped in a 5-year old's body. He is creative and musical and a bit quirky. Austin tends to attract the attention and hearts of everyone he passes, without even wanting to.
My concern, however, is with the more traditional setting of a school classroom. He passed the assessment with a 96% before learning all of the criteria and he loves to learn but it has all happened in a less structured environment instead of the typical preschool. To me, Austin has "montessori" written all over him. The price tag for it doesnt quite fit into our budget though and the school he will attend is the top elementary school for our county. Jacob's teachers thus far have really worked with him so I am assuming Austin's will be just as willing to bend a bit here and there. I mean, you can't teach kids if you don't know how to waiver a little bit, right?
2 comments:
Hi Tara, I worte you back about your comment on my Wild Things step stool and after I hit send, I noticed the non-reply thing. Grrrr! Anyway, I did want to get back to you so here's a copy of my e-mail.
Tell your husband, You're Welcome! LOL Even though, a mural is a super cool idea!
You know another small-ish way you can infuse the story book in your decor is by painting a night stand the color of your choice then decoupage pages of the book on the drawer(s) front. Look for the book at garage sales/thrift stores so you can still have the book to read to the kiddies. I wanted to do this but on an armoire we have. But first of all it's big (meaning big project) and also I had a total different idea for the room and this will make it go a total different way. And third of all, like I really need another project to tackle.
Anyway, I'm thinking if you do it and blog about it, I can live vicariously through you!
Oh, oh, also maybe decoupaging pages from the book on a lamp shade too! Don't hate me. :)
----------------------
About Austin and school. Give it a chance. I can relate to your concern because my oldest sounds to fit your description of Austin to a T. Teachers now a days are being taught how to deal with different classroom personalities. This is what I've found through the years he's been in elementary school. He's now in 3rd. I recommend to work closely with the teacher. Let her know your concerns. In the long run, it will help her to know those things too.
Sorry for the hugely long comment. :)
Best of luck.
Thank you, Yanet, for replying. :) I love the lampshade idea and I may be able to do something with the existing dresser in their room.
I appreciate the insight on the schools. I agree that communcation is key to making this work for Austin and everyone else involved.
Post a Comment