We have never been in the financial position for me to experiment with crafts and creativity in our home. For the most part, our furniture has been (and pretty much still is) hand-me-downs or craigslist finds. But this is starting to excite me because I know I can pick at them, one at a time, to make them our own. Our big project for the last few months has been our master bedroom. We replaced the floors, removed the almost-purple molding, purchased a new mattress set along with bedding and accent pillows. I am in the process of finding the right blue paint for our walls and Mark has a deal with a family friend to build us custome furniture in exchange for car work. In the meantime though, I think I have decided on a color scheme for the kitchen and living room. We painted the kitchen almost immediately to get rid of the fire engine red and went with a muted olive green. We have since brough in new chairs for the kitchen table and I picked out the mosaic tiles that will eventually be the backsplash.
However, I now have an itch to get crafty. I am thinking of recovering our kitchen chairs, which will be the first time I've done a project like this. I know its not hard, but I am still very excited to perform this modification. I may even go fabric hunting this weekend. :) Eventually I want to make my own accent pillows for the living room and curtains for the kids' room and living room. How I wish my Aunt Debbie was closer so I could learn from her! I do have a question though. I do not own a sewing machine and in the last year have had a strong desire to finally purchase one for these projects and more. What should I start with? I am totally clueless when it comes to sewing/knitting/etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment