Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fresh Produce

We planted a small garden on Mother's Day and I was able to pick the first fruits of our labor on Father's Day. 


I went out to find our string bean plant on the ground from the weight of the beans.  I picked what I deemed "big enough" and left the smaller ones on to grow a bit more. I think I need to get a crutch for each of them though for support as they continue to grow and produce.  The cantelope and cucmbers are blooming in numbers and I saw our first flower on the strawberry vine today.  Its exciting to see the progress made in them since we planted them a month ago. I have also used the cilantro and parsley in several recipes.

Yesterday I joined a friend at the Farmer's Market.  Blackberries, blueberries and plums filled my bags.  The sole reason for the blueberries is this:


Although, as I ate my salad at dinner last night, I thought they would pair with the rasperry vinegarette very well and may try that next time.  Unforunately my kids are very picky fruit eaters.  Apples, bananas and melon are about all they eat. However, I left the plums in a bowl on the table and am hoping Jacob will at least try one.

No comments: