Sunday, June 12, 2011

Money-Wise

I decided to step the chores up a bit with the boys and implement an allowance at the same time.  I made a list of appropriate chores that had about 15 options on it.  I allowed each one to choose two and explained next month they will have to choose two different chores until they get through the whole list.  Then we will start over.  

I made a run to the dollar store to buy chore charts:


The point of starting the allowance was to teach the kids money management.  Each week they will receive $2.00 if their chart is complete (AND I do not have to remind them about their chores since these are things they know to do everyday anyway).  10% is set aside for Giving, 10% is set aside for Savings and they have 80% to spend.  

What they do with their money is up to them since they earned it.  But I will not give out loans and they cannot do extra chores to earn more.  They must learn to save and be patient.  This already caused a ruckus at the dollar store since Jacob wanted some baseball cards and I told him know even though he has $0.50 sitting at home to pay for half. I told him he'll have to wait until his allowance and if that is what he really wants, he can get them then. He didn't like it, but he accepted it (after repeating myself three times).

I did allow them to each pick out a bank to keep their money in.  Here they are decorating:


I also made a canister out of an empty bread crumb jar for Giving money.  I started this a while ago and I put loose change I find around the house in here:


To help them break it down, I will need to run to the bank and get some rolls of change and pay them that way for a little while. But that will help them to separate the appropriate amounts and put them in the containers themselves.  




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! We're doing something similar with Brennan but because of his age he also has tasks that we've gotten sick of nagging him about (brushing his teeth after breakfast w/o being asked). He can earn 2 cents per day per item and has to give 5% (due to the small amount he's earning). He's bought a match box car and is only a bit away from buying a small lego set he wants. It's been a great learning project for him. Great minds thinking alike ;o)
~Beth

Debbie Faber said...

Tara,
I have a great thing you can do with your change. We do it every year--this past was the BEST yet. If you can pick up the paperback "The Christmas Jar" (the original one not revisited).....I think you will love the book and the idea behind it. It is inexpensive and a quick read...very motivational. It is in the Christian section of the bookstore.

Tara said...

Beth, that is the stipulation on the boys chores, doing it without being asked/reminded. I am tired of getting on them about doing these everyday things. They were warned that if I had to remind them about this stuff, they weren't getting paid for it! The charts are posted in the kitchen where they can see them all day long. Good luck with Brennan! It sounds like he is on the right track already.

Aunt Debbie-I received the link you sent me for the book. I will definitely take a look! I love having ideas of ways we can give and to teach the boys about being concerned with others and unselfishness. Its hard with all of the things they have and do.